The RSPCA receives thousands of calls a year about poisonings.
The RSPCA is warning about the hazards to pets from an ingredient called Xylitol often found in sweet treats and some makes of peanut butter.
Xylitol is a low calorie sweetener and it is used as an alternative to sugar. It is also known as E967 and can be commonly used in baking.
Some brands of peanut butter do not use this ingredient so the RSPCA are warning dog owners to check the label before giving their pet a taste of this treat.
Xylitol is also regularly found in chewing gum including sugar free gum and nicotine gums.
In 2017 the RSPCA received 1,152 calls about potentially poisoned animals and a further 95 calls asking for advice around poisons. This compares to 1,225 calls about poisoned animals in 2016 and 110 calls asking for advice.
RSPCA Behaviour and Welfare expert Alice Potter said: “Sometimes owners may be harming their pets without realising.
“You might think saving a bite of cake for your dog is harmless but actually you could be feeding them something toxic.
“What is ok for you to eat may not be ok for your dog or cat. Some of the more common foods like onions or chocolate many pet owners are aware of but we are receiving too many calls about poisonings so we need to raise awareness about the dangers of this artificial sweetener.
“It really is a secret poison - many people just aren’t aware of the dangers.
“Always check the ingredients of anything you feed your pet and if you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have then you should ring your vet straight away.”
This Peanut Butter Day try baking your dog a tasty treat by following this recipe for dog biscuits, always ensure you use safe ingredients. (See video above)...more